POSTED January 22, 2015
I have been searching for a healthy, nutrient dense muffin recipe for ages-s-s. I was looking mainly for Reuben, but also for me as I’ve regressed to a one year old’s diet and sleep time.
This is a recipe I have tweaked from Hemsley Hemsley’s The Art of Eating Well (definitely worth a read). I have taken a leaf out of Sarah Wilson’s I Quit Sugar (also worth a read) and substituted Rice Malt Syrup for sugary ingredients like maple syrup and honey – it works a treat!
Makes 12 muffins and 12 mini muffins OR 1 big loaf
300g ripe bananas (roughly three)
30g butter at room temperature
2 tbsp rice malt syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 large free range, organic eggs
1/2 tsp bi carb soda
220g almond meal
35g linseed meal
1 heaped tbsp chia seeds
1 pinch of salt
shredded coconut and salt for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas mark 5 and grease or line muffin trays.
2. Mash bananas and butter with a fork until a smooth consistency. Add all other ingredients except for sprinkling and mix well with a whisk.
3. Pour mixture into muffin tray and sprinkle coconut and salt on top of each muffin.
4. Bake for 30 minutes – until the tops are golden brown (they can go quite dark – make sure they’re cooked through).
5. Leave to cool, then remove from baking tray. Store in an air-tight container for up to five days.